Studying at UOW as an International student?
Studying abroad can be extremely rewarding but also challenging. Whether you are currently in Australia, studying remotely offshore or planning your arrival, check out the information below to ease your transition and help you thrive!
International students here at UOW have created a series of short videos sharing their tips to assist you with your transition into life at UOW and the beautiful Illawarra. Discover the top tips and advice from international students at UOW through our local orientation videos. There are also some helpful resources to overcome culture shock as well as 10 ways to improve your English.
There is so much to upskill and find out, we have collated the top 6 links you should save to your favourites for easy access.
1. Study NSW keeps you up to date with the latest news about studying, living and working in New South Wales.
2. UOW International Student Community – Keep updated with everything coming up and current for UOW International Students.
3. International Student Programs – Connect with students from all over the world and access opportunities to make new friends, develop skills and link to the local community, as well as learning to need-to-know information to navigate and upskill your knowledge.
- Essential Information – Watch these videos to help you transition into your new life in Australia and find out essential information on working and staying safe.
- Support Services for International Students – Discover the services available to help you during your studies at University, including specialised services for International Students.
- Student Legal Clinic provides free confidential legal advice to current students at UOW.
- Learning Co-Op offers a variety of study support tools to help you keep on track and hit your study targets.
- Careers Central is a free service to help you find work. They also provide resources, programs, workshops, events and support services to help you establish your career goals and develop your skills.
Get involved in informal, fun and inclusive chats via Zoom (online) with other students through Couch Conversations. There's something special about connecting with fellow students and staff from UOW. There's a learning, a camaraderie, a unity that comes with it and we know you are missing it. While we can't connect in person on campus like we once did, it's time to take those conversations virtual.
Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
As an international student, it is a requirement of your Student Visa that you have student health cover for the duration of your study in Australia.
Bupa is the University's chosen OSHC provider. When you receive an offer to study at UOW, you have the option to allow UOW to organise OSHC (only if through our preferred provider Bupa).
If you do not wish to use Bupa, it is your responsibility to ensure that you have OSHC that is current, and for the duration of your Student Visa.
Below is a playlist of videos from Bupa to assist you with common queries. For additional information on claims, key contacts and helpful resources visit Overseas Student Health Cover with Bupa.
Virtual Buddies provide a great opportunity for you as a new International Student to get to know UOW with the help of an experienced “Buddy”.
The program runs remotely and matches international students with a fellow student studying at the Wollongong campus. Virtual Buddies, can help you to navigate the different non-academic aspects of the student experience at UOW. It includes weekly online challenges to help you both learn more about each other and each other’s culture, as well as group get-together's and workshops. Virtual Buddies will be running later in Spring Session, sign up for more information.